Tuesday, October 25, 2011

The coat

'One night a number of years ago, a newly called missionary named Elder Swan and his Japanese senior companion came to visit our home. Fortunately I was home, so I invited them in. When I greeted them at the door, my eyes were drawn to the coat that Elder Swan was wearing. Without thinking, I said to him, "That sure is a nice coat you are wearing!" However, it wasn’t a new coat, and it was rather faded. I assumed that the coat was one that a previous missionary had left behind in the missionary apartment.

Elder Swan immediately responded to my words, and it was completely the opposite of what I had been thinking. In halting Japanese he replied, "Yes, this is a good coat. My father wore this coat when he served as a missionary in Japan over 20 years ago."

His father had served in the Japan Okayama Mission. And when his son was leaving to serve a mission in Japan, he had given his coat to him. This picture shows that coat that two generations of Elder Swans wore in Japan.

I was touched when I heard Elder Swan’s words. And I now understood why Elder Swan wore his father’s coat while he was proselyting. Elder Swan had embarked on his mission having inherited his father’s love for Japan and its people. '

Elder Kazuhiko Yamashita

Of the Seventy

I have asked mom to send me your old mission winter coat that I decided not to take with me because of vanity. I have changed my mind for two reasons. The above quotation is one of them.

Love,

Elder Solomon


No comments:

Post a Comment